1907 - from the book Der Motorwagon
With the help of internal combustion engines, water transport achieves greater expansion every day. The date will be not far off when the streets of larger cities have a large number of motor vehicles, the rivers and coasts will be busy with motor boats.
CUDELL (the car) in Aachen
The manufacturer was Cudell and the company is a pioneer in automobile production in Germany. The Cudell Company in Aachen produced various products starting in 1871. Brothers Carl and Iwan Cudell formed the company, but in 1897 the progeny Max and Carl Cudell joined.
Max Cudell decided that year to begin automobile production in his own business under the name "Cudell und Co. KG., Motoren-und Motorfahrzeugfabrik", and did it with Metzgerstrasse in Aachen.
Cudell factories were in Aachen in the years 1897-1904, but following a fire (it burned all the drawings along with 25 cars and 10 motorcycles) and bankruptcy were transferred to Berlin and was operated until 1908.
from: Development of vehicles in the beginning of the century, by Hjálmt´yr Heiddal
The Cudell was a German car made from 1898 to 1908. It was made in Aachen until 1905, and thenceforth in Berlin.
Max Cudell founded the company in 1898 to manufacture licensed De Dion-Bouton vehicles. The original 3-wheelers were succeeded by a 3.5hp voiturette. These were followed by more De Dion-style vehicles until 1904. In that year, Karl Slevogt-designed vehicles premiered with little, if any, resemblance to the former French-influenced models. These new cars featured an advanced 4-cylinder engine that had a 5-bearing crankshaft and overhead valves. Versions of the engines ranged from 16/20PS to a 6.1L 35/40PS.
The Berlin branch was headed by Paul Cudell and did not make many cars. After auto manufacture was stopped, the company continued to manufacture marine engines, as well as a carburetor of the same name.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia